Why do I need to have a Will?

Having a valid and up to date Will gives you peace of mind. It means you can make your wishes clear and prevents putting your loved ones under unnecessary stress after your die. Remember:

  • Make provision for your family and loved ones
  • Consult a solicitor if necessary so that you can get the legal advice that is right for you
  • Review your Will regularly to ensure it takes account of your current circumstances
  • A gift to DEBRA can be included as part of your financial planning

What types of gift can I make?

There are three common ways to leave a gift in your Will:

  • A residuary gift is the remainder, or percentage, of your estate. This could be anything from 1%-99% once your loved ones have been taken care of. 
  • A pecuniary gift is a specific amount of money - it's worth remembering that inflation means that the value of your gift will go down over time.
  • A specific gift is when you leave a named item, be it an antique, a picture, stocks or shares etc.

What information do I need to include DEBRA in my Will?

When making a Will, you'll need to have the following information available:

  • Our full name: DEBRA
  • Our registered charity numbers: 1084958 (England and Wales) and SCO39654 (Scotland)
  • Our address: DEBRA, The Capitol Building, Oldbury, Bracknell, RG12 8FZ

We can also provide you with suggested wording, however we always recommend you check this with your solicitor to ensure this is appropriate with your needs. (If you are using our online option the wording is fixed).

Do you have any specific wording that I should use when making a Will?

We advise speaking with the solicitor who drafts your Will to see the most appropriate wording but as a general guide you could use the below:

I GIVE all (or... share) of my Residuary Estate to DEBRA (Registered Charity Number 1084958) of The Capitol Building, Oldbury, Bracknell, RG12 8FZ to be applied for its general purposes 


(a) the receipt of the person who professes to be the treasurer or other proper office for the time being of each of the above mentioned charities shall be a complete discharge to my Executors

(b) if before my death the above mentioned charity has changed its name or amalgamated with or transferred all its assets to any other body then my Executors shall give effect to the gift as if it has been made to the body in its changed name or to the body which results from the amalgamation or to which the transfer has been made

I GIVE: £ [insert amount in numbers] ([insert amount in words] pounds) to DEBRA (Registered Charity Number 1084958) of The Capitol Building, Oldbury, Bracknell, RG12 8FZ to be applied for its general purposes

(a) & (b) as above 

Do I need to plan before I make my Will?

We strongly recommend that before making a Will you have a list of your assets with an idea of how you would like them to be divided. 

Is there a minimum amount that I need to leave to DEBRA in my Will?

If choosing to leave a bequest there is no minimum amount. You can gift as little as 1% to DEBRA, leaving 99% to those you care about most and still making a positive difference to those with EB.

Do I have to make a donation in return for using the free Will writing service?

There is no obligation to make a donation or leave a gift in your Will to DEBRA, but please do bear in mind this services comes at a cost to the charity and that every penny given will make a difference to those lives devastated by EB.