You are here: Support for you > Other sources of support
Other sources of support

Other sources of support

Knowing what support is available can sometime be a challenge, so we thought it would be useful to highlight a few sources of support that you may find helpful.


UK Benefits Guide*

Support for carers

Carers Trust works to improve support, services and recognition for anyone living with the challenges of caring, unpaid, for a family member or friend.

Carers UK provides advice, support and resources to anyone caring for someone, and campaigns to make life better for carers across England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales.

Action for Children offers support for young carers, disabled children and young people and siblings.

Clothing and daily living

If you live with EB, ask your EB nursing team for advice and tips on comfortable clothing and minimising friction and pressure in footwear. The products below have been reviewed in DEBRA's magazine, In Touch, by people living with EB. DEBRA does not endorse any products or services mentioned. Remember, everyone's skin is different and DEBRA cannot be held responsible for any consequences arising from the use of these items.

Found a product helpful? Let us know.

Ginger Shampoo and Banana Conditioner from the Bodyshop

Bras from Genie

Underwear from Theya Healthcare

Safety shoes from V12 footwear

Safety boots from Dewalt

Shoes from Sketchers Go Walk

Panda and Sparrow have allowed DEBRA members to get 15% off at Panda and Sparrow by using the code 'Debra' at the checkout. 

Discount schemes

The Merlin Magic Pass scheme, which offers entry into Merlin theme parks and attractions around the UK, provides free a transferable carers' pass to disabled Merlin Passholders. To find out more and see if you are eligible visit

If you love going to the cinema you can get a card which enables you to take your carer for free. Find out more at

Disabled Person's rail card – reduction to your rail fare for the holder and one companion. Find full details at

Your local authority

Your local authority can provide funding towards adaptations to enable you to live independently at home, or can help you arrange care in your home. Funding, eligibility criteria and the type of assessment needed vary by area. Visit your local authority website or contact them directly for further information about services or funds offered in your area. To find your local authority go to

Grant funding

Disability Grants is a searchable directory of grant providers, which can point you to a wide range of grants with different purposes and eligibility criteria – for children or adults, from iPads to equipment.

The government backed Family Fund provides a wide range of grants to low-income families raising disabled and seriously ill children and young people. This includes essentials such as cookers, washing machines and fridges, and other items such as computers and holidays.

The Caudwell Trust provides family support, grants for equipment, short break activities, specialist sports equipment and supported holidays for the entire family including carers.

Turn2us helps people in financial need gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help.

Wish granting foundations

Make-A-Wish Foundation grants magical wishes to children and young people fighting a life threatening condition.

The Willow Foundation supports seriously ill young adults aged 16 to 40 to fulfil uplifting and unforgettable special days.

Hospice care

Hospice UK: A useful list of adult hospices throughout the UK

Together for Short Lives: Offers support & advice for families with seriously ill children in the UK

Palliative Care Scotland: Full list of palliative care services in Scotland

Children's Hospice Association Scotland: CHAS provides hospice services in Scotland for children and young people who have life-shortening conditions

Holidays and fun

The Scott Ward Schofield Memorial Fund is now the proud owner of Scott’s Caravan – a beautiful three bedroom, six berth caravan near Blackpool. SWSMF provide holidays, short breaks and days out for people with EB, specifically those with Junctional and Dystrophic types. The caravan is also open to bereaved EB families. To apply for a holiday or short break just email with the full names for all your party and your preferred holiday dates.

Hidden Depths Canal Cruises

Hidden Depths Canal Cruises are generously offering DEBRA members living with EB and their families and carers boat trips from Kings Cross. Please call Hazel Ewens (Membership Manager) on 01344 771961 for more information.

Travel Insurance

DEBRA does not endorse or recommend any particular insurance providers. Some DEBRA members living with EB have had positive experiences with the companies mentioned below, although DEBRA does not guarantee that a person living with EB will be accepted for a policy with any of these providers.

Freedom Insurance -  01223 446914

Makesure Insurance - 0845 309 4424

Able2Travel -  01483 562662

Endsleigh - 0800 0283571

Fish insurance - 0500 432141


Toy Like Me has scoured the internet for toys, bespoke and off-the-shelve, which represent 'diffability' and has a vigorous social media campaign, #ToyLikeMe, to make toys more representative for people with disabilities. 

Mobility equipment

When it is not available on the NHS, Whizz Kidz can help with a broad range of mobility equipment. Whizz Kids also provides other services for young people and support for parents.

Children Today raises funds to provide specialised equipment and services for children and young people with disabilities throughout the UK.

The Newlife Foundation for Disabled Children provides an equipment service and grants. Newlife also runs a free, nurse-led confidential helpline which supports families.

REMAP custom-makes equipment to help disabled people live more independent lives.

Special educational needs (SEN)

Cerebra has prepared helpful guides for parents of children with special educational needs and disabilities including Education in England: Statements of Special Educational Needs: A Guide for Parents, Education in Wales: A Guide for Parents and A Problem-Solving Toolkit for Families.

Irwin Mitchell, in partnership with the Council for Disabled Children, has produced a series of free factsheets and template letters on Part 3 of The Children and Families Act 2014.

Special Needs Jungle creates easy to understand resources, articles and information for parents and carers of children with special needs, disabilities and health conditions to better enable them to navigate the special needs system.

Sky Badger is a charity that finds help and adventure for disabled children and their families in the UK.

Contact your local council for information on services in the local area for parents, children and young people from 0 to 25 years old, who have special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND).


The Motability Scheme provides a simple way to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair. Visit the website to check eligibility. They can also help towards the cost of driving lessons for disabled people. Please contact Motability directly on 0300 4564566 for more information on learning to drive on the scheme.

Public transport

Southern trains operate a priority seating card which is available upon application.  Anyone who qualifies for a card can use it on any Southern service to secure a priority seat and avoid the embarrassment of asking someone to give up their seat.

Help with your energy and water bills

Warm Home Discount – participating energy suppliers help low-income and vulnerable households meet their energy costs.

Winter Fuel Payment – annual payment of up to £300 for pensioner households.

Cold Weather Payment – during periods of severely cold weather to pensioners who receive pension credit or people on income-related benefits who meet certain criteria.

Find out more on the Citizens Advice website or contact your energy supplier.

Annual payment towards your electricity bill – if you contact your energy provider, there is a scheme which will put credit of about £130.00 on your electricity bill in the winter as long as you are in receipt of a disability related benefit.  You will need to register with your energy provider for and remember to re-register if you switch provider.

WaterSure – capping your bill when your water is metered

Every company offers the ‘WaterSure’ tariff. This caps the bills for certain metered household customers at the average household bill for their area. It applies to metered customers who receive specified benefits and:

  • have three or more dependent children living with them
  • have (or have someone living with them who has) a medical condition that involves using large volumes of water.

If you think you may be eligible, contact your water supplier for more information on how to apply.

*DEBRA is not responsible for the content of any external websites.

Lackshhya's story

Lackshhya's story

"My advice to anyone with EB is to get in touch with DEBRA because it’s good to meet other families who are coping with EB to talk and share thoughts and ideas.” Lackshhya’s Mum


Become a member

Become a member

Membership is free and includes:

  • Access to DEBRA literature
  • FREE seasonal newsletter
  • Invitations to Members’ Day
  • Use of DEBRA holiday homes

Join now