You are here: Support for you > Community Support Team > Financial Support > DEBRA Travel and Independence Fund

DEBRA Travel and Independence Fund

What is the purpose of this fund?

The purpose of this pilot Travel and Independence Grant Scheme is to enable people with EB to live a more independent and adventurous life and to help transform dreams into reality.  The scheme empowers individuals to take control of their independence through travel with the opportunity to encounter new experiences and challenges.  The pilot will end on 31st December 2019.

This fund should be read in conjunction with the DEBRA EB Community Support Grant Policy as a Priority 3 Enrichment Support Grant.  This policy can be found here.

What can the funds be used for?

The funds are for, or a contribution to, school/university trips, breaks, holidays, day trips and travel in the UK and overseas for a person, of any age, who has EB, plus one carer.

The trip or activity is to be wholly organised by the applicant.

What do the funds not cover?

DEBRA does not undertake to fund family holidays or any additional requirements such as organising trip, break or holiday,  passport applications, travel insurance, visas, clothing, equipment, food/drinks, or where funding from elsewhere has been granted.  Retrospective applications are not accepted.

Who can apply?

Grants are available to any DEBRA member who has EB, of any age and with any type of EB.  The fund is to promote independence as opposed to a family holiday, therefore one parent or an immediate carer can be included in any application to accompany the EB applicant. 

Access to grants is a benefit of becoming a DEBRA member.  Membership to DEBRA is free and can be applied for at the time of grant application. Grant applications need to be supported by the recommendation of an EB clinical professional or a member of the DEBRA Community Support Team.

Trustees or DEBRA employees living with EB will be treated the same as all other members for the grant decision making process. 

Grant applications can be made by anyone, but the person living with EB or their legal guardian must give their consent to the application. 

How do I apply?

Applicants must put their case forward by completing this DEBRA Travel and Independence Grant Application Form, providing as much detail as possible to support the grant request.

The completed form should then be sent to the Team Support Manager by email or post to  or DEBRA, 13 Wellington Business Park, Dukes Ride, Crowthorne, Berkshire RG45 6LS.

More information regarding the fund can be found on the application form.